Saturday 24 October 2015

say a prayer to strike your enemy blind

https://www.flickr.com/photos/japaneseforms/9850207814/

say a prayer to strike your enemy blind

©japanese forms
........................

I'm not at all keen on religion. Of any kind. However, I'm sort of drawn to the iconography of it all. One day, while having a stroll around a market, I came across this gypsy guy who was selling these little cards depicting various saints.They were quite attractive and rather nicely done.* He had a small suitcase full of them and other religious whatnots. I bought one -not the one in the pic. Saint Rita it was apparently. Not being a Roman Catholic I had no idea of who she was nor of what she had done to deserve to be canonized. Didn't really matter; I liked the icon. I'm still not sure why she was made a saint because, as I said above, religion really isn't my cup of tea. So, if a question about her comes up in some pub quiz or other I'll fail miserably.

Anyhow, I gave the card to a friend -whose mother collects these sort of things- saying that I'd go back the next week and buy a couple of others.
Needless to say the chap never appeared that day and, though I've only been back to the market a few times in the five years since I took the photo, I've never seen him -nor anyone else- selling these little trinkets. Oh well, maybe one day.


*click on the photo to see a full colour version






No comments:

Post a Comment